Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Review: Five Days Left by Julie Lawson Timmer

Five Days Left by Julie Lawson Timmer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Very well-done. Two distinct stories, not one. Link between them is tenuous. Both stories are gripping in themselves. One seemed to resolve a little to easily. A flip flop of situation. I very much liked this story, though I didn't expect that I would.

View all my reviews


So, that's probably one of the shortest reviews I've posted here. I borrowed this from the library and read it for book club, which this book seems made for. These are some of the things we discussed.

Book club topics:
Huntington's disease: knowing vs. not knowing, whether suicide in the case of terminal disease is acceptable, whether leaving while somewhat functional is better than staying beyond one's ability to even recognize family.

Adoption/foster care: motivations of families who decide to foster/adopt, resolving feelings of jealousy of attention (foster mother in this was jealous of her husband's attention to Curtis over the baby she was carrying), marital strain when one spouse wants to adopt while the other doesn't.

Suicide: Selfish or selfless, particularly in the case of debilitating terminal illness.

If you've read this, feel free to tell me what you thought of it in the comments.




No comments:

Post a Comment