Sunday, October 19, 2014

NanoWriMo Plans and Book News

So, next month's NaNoWriMo (or National Novel Writing Month), and based on last year's attempt to dodge that siren's call, I'm probably going to be spending my month writing.

Last year, I said I wouldn't, then on around day 17 I decided I would. I still can't believe I finished in time, but The Freeze is in the 3rd round of edits and nearly ready for some beta reading and cover design. Already I've chopped about 4k words, so it's no longer a 50k book, but that's ok. The challenge is to write a 50k first draft in November, not a 50k final draft.

Anyway, it's a ton of frenzied, nerve wracking storytelling and, of course, I'm going in without a plan. I have so much trouble even thinking of a topic ahead of time, and I've got to hand it to those who manage to do that and come up with an outline. I admire them for that.

So, what do I do to get ready? Well, I make sure I have a notebook (that I won't likely use), I forewarn my husband, and I tell everyone to ignore the absent gazes that might overcome me from time to time. I also run through ideas in my head, particularly on the way to work when I'm fresh.

I probably won't be reading a ton of new books when I'm actively writing, but I will keep reading, and I will keep up with my family time and my hobbies. Just because I'm writing doesn't mean I have to lose sight of everything else that matters in my life.

That being said, who else plans to take the NaNoWriMo challenge this year?

-----
Book news:
All four of my published books are 99c on Amazon right now. Fearless is now out in paperback. The Freeze is on track for release in December. Shadows of Valor 3 will likely be released in Winter of 2015 (still on the 2nd draft). Finally, I'm about 30% in on a vampire story. It has no name yet, but it's been fun to write so far.

That's all for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment