Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Historical Fiction Review: Ann of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A classic, but Anne talks the Cuthberts and the reader in circles.

Anne of Green Gables is the story of a young girl who matures from spunky day dreamer to mature young woman. When the Cuthberts decide to adopt, they intended to get a boy who could help on the farm, but what they get is Anne. They very nearly decide not to keep her, but the ever-optimistic and imaginative Anne manages to sway them in her favor just in time.

I think what I like most about this story is Anne's temper and impetuous nature and how she slowly becomes less of a hellion. I also like how those she meets can't help but be changed by the experience. And, then there is the historical aspect. Imagine sending someone down to the orphanage to pick you up a boy, or handing an orphan off from one household to another without anything more than a "here you go" to mark the occasion.

On the other hand, this story is quite a whirlwind of chatter (mostly Anne's nonsensical ramblings) and Anne seems to blast through all phases of adolescence. Several times it seemed that the story was wrapping up (or should be) and I found that I was nowhere near there. It's not a short story by any measure. I think it might have helped if I hadn't been reading this on a Kindle as part of a "boxed set."

Overall, I really liked the story, particularly the colorful character of Anne. I recommend it to those who enjoy historical fiction or coming of age stories, though it can drag on and be hard to follow in places. There was a TV series about Anne that's also worth checking out.

I found the complete Anne of Green Gables boxed set for free on Amazon Kindle and this was the first story in it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment