Saturday, June 21, 2014

Fairy Tale Review: Unenchanted by Chanda Hahn

UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Nothing unfortunate about this book.

Unenchanted is about Mina, a young girl who finds herself the target of a family curse. The premise is simple. She must live through real-life fairy tales until either she survives them all or one of them claims her life. And, she must succeed or her disabled younger brother will become the next target of the curse.

I found this to be an excellent story. The flow is natural and the book is difficult to put down. I kept hoping for Mina to win, despite the ominious title of the series, and really felt a connection to her and the other characters. It helps that Mina has a noble soul and a likeable personality.

In places, the plot advances a little too easily, but not so much that I didn't enjoy it and want to read more. I also noticed some wrong-word errors, particularly near the end. These are the kind of words that spell check would miss, because they aren't misspelled, they simply don't mean the right thing in context. Still, I think many readers wouldn't even notice them. I just happen to key in on those things.

Anyway, Mina experiences the first terrifying and dangerous fairy tales of what is likely to be hundreds of them and the book ends with a glimmer of another of them. I look forward to reading more, but I wonder if this will be one of those neverending series. It seems like it could be.

Overall, I really liked this book, particularly because I related well to the characters and also because I enjoy twists on traditional fairy tales. I would recommend this story to people who like stories where fantasy invades the real world. The story is appropriate for middle-schoolers and up.

I found this on a free promotion on Amazon.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment