Saturday, February 27, 2016

Audiobook Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

Click to view on Amazon.
City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Description:
To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of the New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments.

My review:
Ah, now I feel satisfied. Is the series over? Well, no… There are at least three more I haven’t gotten to, but book three resolves several issues that have spanned the series up to this point. So, other than satisfied, how do I feel?

Well, good. Happy with the outcome, a little keyed in on a couple of possible problems (glossed over a little) that likely lead into the following books, but overall good. Unlike the others, though, I don’t feel that driving urge to immediately reserve the next copy.

Ok, so the big, burning mover of plot in this installment was the hinting and the wondering about Clary and Jace’s particular issue. If you’ve read the first two books, you know which one. If you haven’t, you should read them, and then you’ll know.

Simon’s growing from kind of a geek you feel sorry for into a geeky hero. Not sure he’s there yet, but there’s progress. And Valentine, what a creep, with even more reasons provided. Other surprises, shocking and satisfying, made this a joy to read, just really fun.

Now all that said, I couldn’t help but recall the Wonder Twins (from the Super Friends) with regard to their special gifts. Clary is like the girl twin (Jayna) who can make herself into any sort of awesome animal, if I remember correctly, while Jace is like the boy twin (Zan) whose only skill is being water of some form. I remember Zan turning into a cup of water once… Anyway, to tie this into the book, Clary’s got a mad, awesome superpower, while Jace’s is just a bit disappointing in comparison.

So, overall, I loved this book, but it seems to resolve everything I cared about in the series, so I’ve lost the drive to pick up the next one. I’m sure I’ll do so, but a bit later, I think.

I borrowed the audiobook of this story from the local library.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment