Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Childrens Picture Book Review: My Grandma's a Ninja by Todd Tarpley

My Grandma's a NinjaMy Grandma's a Ninja by Todd Tarpley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This kept me laughing the whole time. I actually have tears in my eyes.

Ok, first off, the cadence of this story is excellent. I think this would be a great bedtime story. It's quick and funny. The pictures are cute and the jokes are, too.

The illustrations are simple, but funny. I like how the grandma ninja still wears her necklace. The slow motion ninja moves are well done, too.

And the ending? Priceless.

I would say the only thing that could be done better is the font and text formatting used inside. It looks like it's Arial, which isn't a particularly interesting font. Plus, it seems rather small. I think a serif font, a bit bigger, would fit in with the illustrations a bit better. Also, the larger font would be easier to read during bedtime when lights might be dimmed a bit to get the youngsters in the mood for sleep. Another note on the text is that the paragraph indents seem weird. Sure, paragraphs tend to start with an indent, but in picture books, we're talking one or two liners. I think no indent would look better.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment