Saturday, June 20, 2015

The many meanings of 'I love you'...

That's right, the many meanings. I bet you thought there was only one meaning. Someone says "I love you" and that's that. But in real life you might find it means something a little different each time it's said. So here are a few ways I've heard this used in my own house.

I love you (Ok, I have no idea what you just said.)
I love you (Bye.)
I love you (Whatever, you win.)
I love you (Whatever, I win.)
I love you (...)
I love you (Absentminded endearment at work, school or over the phone...Does not mean anything.)
I love you (You are weird.)
I love you (I can't believe you said that.)
I love you (I can't believe you did that.)
I love you (I forgive you.)
I love you (Do you forgive me?)
I love you (I think you said something, but I'm not sure it wasn't a sneeze.)
I love you (Where is the thing I'm looking for? I'm pretty sure you misplaced it or hid it.)
I love you (You're going to get me in a fight.)
I love you (That was a close call.)
I love you (You are funny.)

And, last but not least...

I love you (I love you.)

So, the bottom line is I don't think you can just say I love you without context and really know what it means. I'm curious to see what you might come up with to convey one of these meanings. Share in the comments. 


No comments:

Post a Comment