Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Sci-fi Short Story Review: Hangtime by Jack Thompson

HangtimeHangtime by Jack Thompson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Imagine sparking the ability to speed through time and work miracles. Then imagine figuring out how to do that through the power of math.

Hangtime is a short story that tells the story of an ordinary man who figures out the secret of hangtime while watching sports one night.

There are so many things I like about this story. The sweet little romance that developes, despite Laslo's cluelessness in the face of an office crush. The ability to span time, the effect reminding me of Flash Gordon. How Laslo likes watching sports, not because of the game, but because he likes calculating angles and velocities of the players in his head.

I also love how solid a story is packed into this tiny bundle. This is a short story, but it doesn't feel rushed. It feels just right, and it's a complete tale, from start to finish. No cliffhangers, but really an excellent and satisfying conclusion that left me smiling.

I loved this little story and look forward to reading more from this author. I'd recommend this to folks who love a good sci-fi with a nerdy hero. There's a little clean romance and adventure, too. Short and sweet.

I picked this book up on Kindle during a free promotion. I don't always take authors up on their Tweets for freebees, but he was basically putting up a handful at a time, and I couldn't resist.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment