Saturday, May 10, 2014

Children's Chapter Book Review: Maisy and the Missing Mice by Elizabeth Woodrum

Occasionally, I'll pick up a children's book instead of the usual YA, NA, or adult fiction I tend to prefer.  This is one of those that caught my eye, and it didn't hurt that I found it for free on Amazon.  So, if you have kids or if you're a kid at heart, this may be a good read for you.

Maisy and the Missing MiceMaisy and the Missing Mice by Elizabeth Woodrum
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Totally cute, well-written, and logical. Great story for young readers.

Maisy is a fourth grader who has an extraordinary talent for solving mysteries. Someone has stolen the mice from one of the classrooms, and the students are beyond worried. The little critters are the school's unofficial mascots and are beloved by all. It's a good thing Maisy is on the case, but her newest challenge may be more than she can handle. The culprit, soon known as The Black Boot, has taken her beloved collection of cherry lollipops hostage. Can Maisy rescue the mice and her stash of lollipops from the mysterious thief?

I loved this little story. Maisy's a cool little kid who totally gets into her role as investigator, even allowing her surroundings to fade into the black and white of the old detective movies she loves. Her fedora in place and her notebook in hand, she cannot be swayed by The Black Boot's attempts to get her off the case. I liked how splashes of color begin to leak back into her world as the pieces of the puzzle start to fall into place.

Another thing I like is that this story is very well-written, providing a great reading opportunity for young readers without giving everything away. The quality of the writing and the choice of vocabulary would make this a great option for challenging young minds in a fun way. Teachers might want to stock this on their shelves.

I totally recommend this for older elementary school and up readers as a starter chapter book. Adults who like a lighthearted escape into their own childhood might also enjoy this. I was reminded of how I used to feel reading Beverly Cleary books. It had me smiling the whole time I read it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment