Saturday, June 29, 2013

Finding GloriaFinding Gloria by Marianne Curtis

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Heartbreaking and inspirational...

Finding Gloria is the true story of a young girl who grows up in abusive home and how that experience shapes her adult years. Although this book could have easily focused on nothing but the horrors the author experienced, it takes a more constructive approach. Reflections of both the good and bad, brought into context with insights gained at great cost throughout her life, build a picture that is at times heard to read, but always well worth the effort.

I think one of the things that most hit home to me is how candidly the author catalogs her experiences. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to write such an account, let alone publish it for all to see. For someone haunted by low self-worth and trust issues, as Marianne admits in her book, it is quite a feat. I could relate to Marianne, as both someone who experienced bullying and someone who grew up with a mentally disordered mother. While my experiences were never as bad as Marianne's, they helped me understand her perspective and made me grateful for my own mother, quirks and all, who always supported me even when she didn't know what to do with herself.

As the author states up front, this book is hard to read at times, but the ending is a happy one. It was great to see that even after everything she lived through, Marianne was able to find love and acceptance and to raise four wonderful children. The pictures at the end were an added bonus.

I recommend this book for anyone who likes inspirational books and memoirs and especially for those who had a tough childhood or who suffered abuse.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment