Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Review of the Movie Tie-in Audiobook: A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet #1) by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet #1)
by Madeleine L'Engle

Description:
It was a dark and stormy night; Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger.

"Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me be on my way. Speaking of way, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract".

Meg's father had been experimenting with this fifth dimension of time travel when he mysteriously disappeared. Now the time has come for Meg, her friend Calvin, and Charles Wallace to rescue him. But can they outwit the forces of evil they will encounter on their heart-stopping journey through space?


My Review:
First off, this was a decent story, but I'm not sure it all quite made sense. I also found it to be a little bit anticlimactic/convenient. Didn't read like a 50-year-old book, though. Far from it. I can see why they made it into a movie.

Overall, I'd recommend it to folks who enjoy youth adventures with a happy ending. Then again, I noticed the Quintet tag when posting this so I guess there's more to it.

As for the audio, I have a lot of comments on that.

The narrator (or the person advising her) chose to interpret the "sharp" voice of Mrs. Witch (Which?) as kind of a wavery, ghosty voice. That is not how I interpret sharp, and I must say, I missed most of what she said, even with the volume turned up. I wonder if this was based on how the character is channeled in the movie, rather than how described in the book. I haven't seen it yet, so I cannot say.

Also, I could have really done without the two forewords. I think I commented on it in Goodreads. The second one bled into the first chapter of the audio, so they didn't quite nail those transitions, and that made it difficult to figure out where the story actually began.

I listened to the movie themed audiobook from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment