Thursday, May 5, 2016

Fantasy Review: Myth-Taken Identity by Robert Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye

Available on Amazon
Myth-Taken Identity by Robert Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Good, but way longer than it needed to be.

I received this book as a gift from my husband. He was poking around on Amazon and noticed this series had more books. We'd both thought that was done with since the author (Aspirin) passed away, but apparently he wrote a few more and transitioned the series into the hands of another author (Nye) before then.

Anyhow, about the book. It's pretty much what I was expecting: a bit of fantasy, a lot of puns, and some humorous multi-dimension sleuthing. If you like that sort of thing, I think you'll like this. I'm a big fan of the Myth series, but though I liked this book, I didn't love it.

It seemed like the authors were working towards a word count, trying to stretch the story to what is more readily accepted as novel length. It didn't really work, though. About halfway through, I felt like the story should be wrapping up, but it just spun off into another approach to the problem the characters were facing. And even when the thing seemed near resolution, the final chase was drawn out to the point I had no problem setting the book down for the night.

So, overall, it's a mildly amusing story with some cute characters, lots more content than needed, and not quite the spark that Aspirin's earlier Myth stories emit. I liked it, but I couldn't say I'd drop everything to read it again.

(And as an aside, what's up with that cover? Who's the pervect lady, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be Masha, but she's not a pervect and isn't she supposed to have bright orange hair? Also, why the heck is Chumley now a fuzzy, purple teddy bear? I'm pretty sure he wasn't that furry before, but in these last few books suddenly he is. I think the cover artist looked at some earlier covers and didn't bother reading the book. Not his or her fault. Someone at the publisher should have been paying attention.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment