Saturday, April 23, 2016

Review of Historical Memoir: Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (The Night Trilogy, #1)Night by Elie Wiesel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Night is a personal account by the author of his experiences during the Holocaust. His village was far from the worst of things, sheltered and apart from the growing horrors. No one in the community believed the one man who had witnessed their fate and come back to warn them.

Elie recounts everything from being confined in a ghetto in his home town, to being processed at Birkenau, the reception center for Auschwitz, to being used for work, to the final march ahead of the Russian forces, to his father, to the final image of himself, little more than a corpse, looking back at him through a mirror. The story spans his fourteenth and fifteenth years.

This book, wow. My heart hurts. That this could happen, did happen, is beyond tragic. Survival, shattered faith, loss, suffering. And his father, so close! I feel like crying.

I borrowed the trilogy from the library, but I don't know if I have the heart to keep reading the others. I need to think about it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment