Thursday, December 11, 2014

Historical Mystery Review: XYZ A Detective Story by Anna Katherine Green

X Y Z by Anna Katharine Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Surprisingly good. I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery, even though it was written almost 100 years ago. The unnamed narrator tells about an unexpected adventure he finds himself in while investigating something else entirely.

I love how this one kept me interested and guessing. These are two of the most important features of any mystery or sleuthing story. I also like how the curiosity of the main character lands him in such an unlikely and awkward situation. I loved the way the details are revealed and the characters are well drawn and interesting.

The downside is that it is a bit old, and as such, it can be a little tough to read in parts. But, only a little. I couldn't figure out all the sayings, but I enjoyed trying to do so. It's like looking through a window into the past, and I must say it was much easier to read than Wuthering Heights, though I was reminded of that other work.

The lack of cover art and the bland title didn't offer any incentive to pick this up on their own. In fact, I, like some of the others who have read and reviewed this story, picked this up solely to satisfy the X in an A-Z reading challenge. But, overall, I'm happy with it and glad I did pick it up.

Overall, I really liked this. It's a short, somewhat humorous mystery. The historic element is a draw as well. Fans of mysteries or historical fiction, particularly those who like both genres, will likely enjoy this story.

View all my reviews

You can get a copy of this for Kindle here. Last time I checked, it's still free. Confirm before you buy, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment