Saturday, July 5, 2014

Harry Potter Fan-Fic Review: James Potter and The Morrigan Web by G. Norman Lippert

James Potter and The Morrigan Web (James Potter, #4)James Potter and The Morrigan Web by G. Norman Lippert
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

First impression: Wow, this book is long! Second impression: Wow, this book is awesome!

Ok, now that I've got that out of the way, this is the fourth installment of G. Norman Lippert's fan-fic continuation of the Harry Potter series, which focuses on Harry's son, James. If you've not read the first three books and don't want spoilers, I recommend you go and read those first. Still, I'll try not to give away too much.

The world has been turned up on it's head, but life goes on. James returns to Hogwarts for his fourth year, haunted by what happened at Alma Aleron and New Amsterdam (NY City). Soon, he discovers that no one believes him about the Lady of the Lake, and the entire magical community has marked Petra, his soul-mate and long-time crush, as undesirable number one.

This book quickly takes on the oppressive feel of book 5 in the Harry Potter series, the one that features the overbearing Umbridge as head master. However, this is not a rehash of that book. The ministry, faced with the aftermath of the previous book's epic ending, has come up with a plan to foster cooperation, not only between the magical schools, but also with a muggle school. Students are required to sign up for at least two classes at one of the four other school. Meanwhile at Hogwarts, teachers who are against Headmaster Grudje's policies are summarily dismissed and replaced, punishments and restrictions are on the rise, and even Filch begins to feel the pressure.

I really enjoyed this book, but it is incredibly long. It took me three weeks to get through it, and I tend to devour books in only a couple of days. I'm not complaining, though. I like books that keep me busy for a while, and this one doesn't drag on. It's entertaining, action-packed and full of intrigue, like a book based on the Harry Potter series should be. Again, I enjoyed it, but was surprised every time I checked my progress and discovered that I'd barely made a dent.

The quality of this book is excellent from an editing standpoint as well. Even though this is fan fiction, the book feels polished and the plot is purposeful and solid, while still existing in the greater realm of J.K. Rowling's creation.

As for what comes next, who knows? The book ends with an author's note where he says he cannot commit to writing the fifth book, though he does have a plan for it. I really hope he finds some time to finish the series, but I must say I am happy for these four novels he's already provided. I have no complaints.

Overall, I loved this book. I recommend it to fans of the Harry Potter series, particularly those who were left wanting more when that series ended.

This book is available for free on Goodreads.com.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment