Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Short Story Review: Hexes and Tooth Decay by Nancy Fulda

Hexes and Tooth Decay: A Short StoryAs part of my month long theme of short and shortish stories, I figured I'd start with one of the shortest ones I've read in recent memory, Hexes and Tooth Decay: A Short Story.  I came across this one for free on Amazon one day and it sat on my to be read shelf for several months before I finally said, "Hey, what's this!" 

I opened it up during a commercial break (because, of course, that's when I do my best reading), and by the time the break was over, I was done with it.  But, I must say, even though it has to have been the shortest ebook I've ever seen, I was not disappointed.  I was, however, concerned that my review would be longer than the story...


Hexes and Tooth Decay: A Short Story by Nancy Fulda

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Funny and worth a read.

This one literally took me about two minutes to read, but it had me laughing and smiling. It's a clever take on the origins of a certain mystical being much loved by elementary school children.

I can say that it is rare for me to rate a short story with five stars, but this one deserves it. The plot is well developed, the characters (three of them, it is a short after all) vivid and strange, and the parting shot at the end is fantastic.

A winner for adults and kids (I'd say middle-schoolers), though adults should read it first before passing it along.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment