Saturday, August 17, 2013

Ack, the dreaded writer's block strikes again!

Here's another legacy post from my Goodreads blog.

Have you ever had writer's block?  It's a sinking feeling when you draw a blank and everything you write, if you manage to write anything at all, seems wonky.  But, there are things you can do to snap yourself out of it, the first of which being: Just Write! 
 
Here are a few more tips that work for me.

February 22, 2013

Yes, I've been hit, and hit hard, with the dreaded writer's block. This isn't the first time and probably won't be the last time I've managed to write myself into a corner, where every new word seems to drag the story in a direction I don't want to go. It's like hitting a brick wall.

So, what do I do when I hit a wall? Here are a few things I'm doing this round:

1. I'm flipping back to the last thing I wrote that I really liked and ignoring the stuff that came after that. Right now, I have three branches going off from 2 chapters back in the story and a fourth one I'm starting about 10 chapters back.

2. I'm listing, brainstorming and freewriting like crazy. Whatever comes to mind, that's going on paper. Mindmaps for the win (but of course, most of it's nonsense and I'm still somewhat blocked).

3. I'm reverting to my tried and true notebook paper and pencil. There's something about putting
pencil to paper that inspires me to go in interesting directions. Plus, it keeps me from falling into the "it's all typed up, must be done" mentality that can get me into trouble.

4. I'm making time to write, whether I feel like it or not. It doesn't have to be about the story I'm working on. Some of the best inspiration I've ever had has been sparked by something totally different. That and writing other stuff keeps your writing muscles strong.

5. I'm making time for exercise and my other hobbies. Sometimes I come up with awesome ideas when I'm doing something else, like practicing karate or knitting something.

6. And finally, I'm making time for silent reflection, just running scenarios and ideas through my mind. No radio, no TV, nothing to distract me from the imaginary world that fuels my words.

Already I feel the juices moving, the ideas flowing. I better go grab that pencil...

---

Tell me what you do to combat writer's block in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment